Friday, November 6, 2009

Times Change: Tweet Instead of Blog

Sometimes I hate doing this blog. For some reason I find it so difficult to come up with a “substantial” post that has something to contribute to our discussions on new media. I do the readings, and enjoy the course discussions, but when it just comes to sitting here trying to type something out, I find it very unappealing. I realize that it is because of new media, that I am bored of new media.

Coming up with so much commentary sometimes feels very forced. It feels like I am being made to meet certain requirements only to satisfy a rubric, and not actually explore the genre. For example, I consider myself a fairly active Tweeter. I use twitter all the time, usually having somewhere between five to ten tweets a day. In addition to always using Twitter, I check my Facebook constantly, and use features like messaging to actively communicate with people and make plans. I have an application for both on my Blackberry, which makes using new media a frequent part of my day. But for some reason I can’t sit here and come up with a few paragraphs of commentary. I attribute this to the “micro-blogging” movement started by Twitter.
Blogging is old school. Micro-blogging, largely via twitter, is the newest way to post commentary.

Micro-blogging is even more user friendly then blogging itself. It is shorter, and is much easier to do while on the go. With schedules like most people have, sitting done and writing something (at a laptop, which even laptops are starting to sound old school) doesn’t sound like the most effective way to communicate. Using micro-blogging allows information to be shared faster and smarter.

My Twitter the updates are short and sweet. Here, in 140 characters or less, is what I have to say. Here is a picture I want you to see, here is an article I found, or here is a point I want to make. Trying to sit here and fill a section of my blog is tedious and makes me stretch ideas to try and fill space. Maybe future classes should be required to make a Twitter. X number of updates a week, X number of hash tags, X number of @ replies, X number of tweetpics, ect.

4 comments:

  1. I believe you have a very interesting take on Micro-Blogging and I would have to agree with you. In a busy life twitter seems to have been created to adapt to our busy lives. If we continue shortchanging everything we do won't we run a larger risk of cutting almost everything in our lives down to something short and without substance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes i feel like people tweet too many irrelevant things, even for micro blogging. ITd be interesting to see how far micro blogging goes the way it is, or if "over tweeting" leads to people not caring. I feel like blogging has more roots and is best fitted to survive for the long run because you can convey exactly what you want.

    ReplyDelete